For the Coloured Culture







Birthed out of African soil
The savannah dust is in my skin 
He told me “there’s something else, not just melanin”

Orange sunsets in the south 
Won’t ever glow like my sisters 
A rich cocoa waterfall 
runs ferociously 
over our misters
Though my auntie’s cheeks 
shine like exotic ocean pearls
Her cousin lives and breathes 
with swarthy radiance and tight heavenly curls 

Heritage will tell you “They’re just mixed”
But we correct you, “One race”
Woven together by pains of a time passed 
More is revealed beyond the face 

You’re not going to tell me who I am
You need more than Wikipedia 
The internet don’t know my people 
And my lack of “blackness” doesn’t make me inferior
Oh 
You didn’t have to say it
I heard your thoughts with ease 

But let me tell you this
By the blending in my blood 
My family is increased 
To us
Family equals culture 
On our hearts, a burning brand 
We may fight with more than words 
But also dance close, hand in hand 

In us there is no lack 
During that painful time 
They said, “not enough white”
And in freedom, same rhyme, “not black” 
Now 
We will stand upon our western mountains 
And proclaim that we are whole! 
Rising up to be our own 
Rejoicing within ourselves alone

Many different things IN one 
Bearing strength AS one

Ray, x